Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Lily's List of Some Little Used Words

Mom and I have been rereading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and I’ve found a plethora of words nobody uses anymore. I like the sound of that word, plethora. It nearly sounds like there’s a purr in it! Plethora, purrrrr! 

Onto some less used words, in no particular order, and Lilybits’ examples of usage:

panegyric – a public speech or published text in praise of someone or something.
Example: Very seldom will I write a panegyric for Mom’s punctuality in feeding me.

precipitance – a cause of a particular action or event.
Example: Mother’s slowness of anticipating my needs is precipitance of my crabby moods.

celerity – ARCHAIC or POETIC/LITERARY swiftness of movement.
Example: I often attack and claw the great room couch with celerity. I also escape and hide from my mom with much celerity when she chases me. (This is definitely not to be confused with celery, something you eat, or celebrities, those make-up slathered people on the cover of the latest gossip mag.) Okay, Mom says I’m just being obnoxious at this point. Sorry, sort of.

expostulation – express strong disapproval or disagreement.
Example: I whine in expostulation when Mother doesn’t feed me quickly enough.

asperity – harshness or sharpness of tone, temper, or manner; severity; acrimony.
Example: My whining and begging take on a tone of asperity when I’m waiting for my wet food.


Mom has pointed out that I am using these fascinating old-fashioned words to complain too much about my dissatisfaction during my incarceration in this house. However, what are words if they’re not for expressing our innermost thoughts (complaints) and communicating our feelings (anger)?

The above words were from only the first few chapters of Pride and Prejudice. There are many more you can learn to prepare for more lively conversation at teatime. You’re welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment