Saturday, June 21, 2014

Worthy of Praise . . . and Trust!


Great is the Lord! He is most worthy of praise! No one can measure his greatness . . . I will meditate on your majestic, glorious splendor, and your wonderful miracles. (Psalms 145:3,5)

I remember when I was in my 20s and driving down the road after a storm. I was a young mother and feeling rather overwhelmed, so I was a bit down. It was one of those days you could smell the rain and the wet earth meeting together in the cool breeze. A beautiful rainbow appeared, arcing across the gray sky in well-defined, vibrant bands of color.

And I remembered the promise God made to Noah, telling him that the rainbow in the sky was a sign for all mankind that He wouldn’t destroy them again with a flood. I love the book of Genesis and seeing the rainbow made me feel closer to the Lord at that moment. I felt like the Lord knew I needed some encouragement and perhaps put that rainbow there just for me. At the time it seemed like a miracle.

Miracle is actually defined as “an effect or extraordinary event in the physical world that surpasses all known human or natural powers and is ascribed to a supernatural cause,” according to Dictionary.com. The Lord may not have moved a mountain or healed anyone in my presence that day I saw the rainbow, but the cheer it brought my heart felt like a miracle, like the Lord was speaking directly to me.

Little finite me can see the wonder, the beauty, the splendor in creation, knowing that it takes an awesome God, bigger than anything He made, to put a rainbow in the sky or a majestic sunset. He’s omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent! Jesus is the Word who created the heavens and the earth, everything was created through Him and he gave life to everything living! In other words, everything God has done is doing or will do is beyond my comprehension. What is an every day thing for the Lord seems like a miracle to me.

If I look at my problems compared to the vastness and greatness of God, I realize that He can handle them much better than I can. Those thoughts don’t necessarily take away the pain or make things seem easier, but it may help me with the eternal perspective. Later in Psalms 145 it talks of God’s mercy and compassion, His unfailing love, the same love Paul talks about in Romans 8:38-39: And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord. (NLT)

A God of such holiness, greatness, glory, splendor and love has the power to forgive sins, to heal, to perform miracles, even if the miracle is the grace to endure the problem one day at a time, just as He showed me the rainbow when I needed it the most.

Father, thank You for the every day miracles and for loving us unconditionally. Help us to take our problems to You and depend on You for healing grace and mercy. Help us to have an eternal perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment