Saturday, November 2, 2013

Saturday Spiritual Uplift - Unburdened


Unburdened

When it comes to my back, I am a sort of a wimp. I’ve experienced enough muscle spasms and been to enough physical therapy sessions to persuade me to be more cautious. My left leg is ¾” shorter than my right and tends to throw things out of balance. I am careful with what and about how I lift.

A couple of weeks ago I found myself without my handy husband there to help lift a 35 lb. container of the concentrated weight of kitty litter. On that gray, chilly day in the pet supply store parking lot, I braced my one foot against the bottom of the cart and the back of my leg against the bumper of my Chevy Venture. I grasped the handle of the bucket and prayed that I wouldn’t pull my muscles any more than I had, when I’d hurt them the day before. I looked up and saw a young man coming out of the store. He glanced my way and I averted my eyes, so that he wouldn’t think I was looking for help. Actually, I was thinking that I hoped he didn’t think I looked like the pathetic weakling I am.

Before I managed to muster the strength I needed, the dark-haired guy was standing in front of me. “Can I help you with that?” I could barely stutter out a question of whether he truly minded, by the time he hoisted the container into the back of my minivan. And as I went to pick up the second one, he wanted to assist me with it as well. I thanked him profusely. Another gentleman asked if he could take my empty basket, so I didn’t even need to return it to the sidewalk. I climbed into the driver’s seat of my car, relieved the Lord had provided me with help, when I least expected. I breathed a prayer of thanks.

A stranger, who didn’t know anything of my thoughts, worries or limitations had offered to take the problem of lifting the kitty litter into my car, into his hands. 1 Peter 5:7 tells us: Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you. (NLT) My Heavenly Father, who created me and knows me intimately, longs for me to unburden myself, to give Him the fears on my heart, the worries I hold onto for loved ones. The worry lines embedded in my forehead attest to the fact that I don’t leave it with Him enough.

Yet, my worrying cannot change a thing. Praying and leaving these things is letting the Lord do the heavy work. He is always near my side, offering to help. He asks that I obey Him and take Him up on His generous offer one day at a time.

Psalm 33:20-21(NLT)
We put our hope in the Lord. He is our help and our shield.
In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name.

Matthew 6:34(NLT)
. . . don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment