Sunday, March 23, 2014

Saturday Spiritual Uplift (on Sunday!) - What's Following You?


What’s Following You?

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever. (Psalm 23:6)

The book of Psalms is filled with songs of worship, prayers poured out to the Lord which are filled with emotion. Penned by David, Asaph and others, they record the full spectrum of human emotion. When I’m feeling down and having trouble trusting the Lord, I often turn to this book of the Bible. I read, asking the Lord to speak to me. When I come to a verse that may encourage me to be more grateful, calls me to repentance, assures me of His unfailing love, or something else meaningful, I stop to ponder it, often underlining the most important words.

When everything seems wrong with the present, I can take comfort in the future knowing He has promised I will “dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” David also  said, “Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life . . .” There is the observable, but yet sometimes unseen hand of the Lord working on our behalf. While I may sometimes feel discouraged, I don’t know what tragedy He has prevented in my life. And I have family, especially my precious husband, and friends who God provides along the journey of life. How often do I discount His love, goodness and mercy, taking it all for granted?

Amazing isn’t it that His goodness and mercy follows us always? But do we diligently
follow our Shepherd and stay near to Him each day?

Heavenly Father, please open my eyes to your work in my life. Help me to be thankful for your steadfast love, to not take for granted that your goodness and mercy follow me throughout my life. Amen.

I'm back from vacation! On Monday, Writing, Whimsy and Devotion will return to its regularly scheduled posts. Thanks for your patience. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this reminder. I am feeling a tad anxious of late and I'm going to tell myself this during the week!

    ReplyDelete