Monday, October 13, 2014

Monday Motivation: The Marathons of Life


With the Detroit Free Press/Talmer Marathon coming up, I admire those I know who are participating in one of the events. For various reasons, running hasn’t been something I’ve taken on for a long time. I’m just a boring walker. (Not of The Walking Dead zombie variety!)
{CC} license - free to share
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nbcornwall/8110812868/
I had been ignoring the weight gain of the last couple of years that is due to hormonal changes and stress, so I am now faced with the reality of changing some of my eating habits-- more vegetables for one, less on-demand chocolate for another. I’m also working on increasing my exercise, whether walking through the neighborhood, getting on the treadmill, popping a walking DVD into the player, or working out with weights.



Gone are the days in which I could work this hard and lose five pounds in a week. That’s been my problem lately, I want to give up too soon. I am trying to get it into my head and heart that lifelong fitness is a marathon, not a sprint.



Many other things are also like this in other areas of life. Broken relationships take time, love and patience to repair. Building a good marriage takes perseverance. Overcoming bad habits takes a relentless commitment to change. Writing a three or four hundred page novel doesn’t happen in a day. It can take months or years, but you have to take the first step by writing the first word, first paragraph, first page--and repeat.

Those preparing for the marathon this weekend didn’t start last week. They’ve been working at it for a long time. What might have seemed impossible at one time became doable, because they took the first step and kept moving forward.


What marathons are you facing in life today? Ask the Lord to guide you in your first steps to move in the direction He wants you to go.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. Think of all the hostility he endured from sinful people; then you won’t become weary and give up.
(Hebrews 12:1-3)

Dear Heavenly Father, please help me to trust You today. Guide me to take steps and move forward in the direction you want me to go. Help me to persevere and not give up as I take one step, one day, one moment at a time. Thank you that Your mercies are new every day!

Please leave a comment--share something you are learning about walking in faith in the longterm. We love your comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment