Monday, November 24, 2014

And More Favorite Character Interviews!



And More Favorite Character Interviews to Enjoy!

Time for some pre-holiday Christmas fun! Two of my co-authors of the Christmas Treasures: A Collection of Christmas Short Stories,  Karlene Jacobsen and Karen Campbell Prough, are introducing to us their favorite characters in their short stories, and I recently had the privilege of interviewing these special characters.

Wake Up by Karlene Jacobsen

Title of your Stories: The Quilt, Wake Up, and Under the Tree
Favorite character: all of my stories are written in 1st person, and only one is named. My favorite, though, I think is the sister who’s surprised by her brother in Wake Up.
Please introduce us to your character with a little description of who they are:

Questions for your character:

1) Tell us about your favorite Christmas. Why was it your favorite?
My favorite Christmas? I’d spent the entire night cooking and cleaning, and wanted to sleep, but my family had other ideas. I can’t share too much because it’ll ruin the story, but the surprise my family gave to me was beyond amazing and over-the-top the best year of my life.

2) Do you have a Christmas tradition you look forward to every year?
I love to find that one thing that would bless members of my family more than anything. It’s so easy to grab the shopping list and fill it, but is a whole ‘nother game to observe and find a way to fill their hearts’ desires as best I can. It’s all about touching the heart and soul, making those I love feel special and wanted and treasured.




The Littlest Wise Man by Karen Campbell Prough

Title of your Story: “The Littlest Wise Man”
Favorite character:  Most readers would probably choose Brian, the little boy in my story. But I picked Kevin, the young father.

Please introduce us to your character with a little description of who they are: Kevin, my favorite character, is a strong but tenderhearted young man in his earlier thirties. In this story, he has gone through a very heart-breaking day. He must keep his son, Brian, from finding out what has happened to their little family—so close to Christmas. But within a few days, Kevin realizes what a blessing the three-year-old son is and how wise a child can be.

Questions for your character:

1)   Tell us about your favorite Christmas. Why was it your favorite?

“Well, I think I’ll choose a Christmas from my past—when I was about the age of nine. I grew up out west and our family lived on a big cattle ranch. That year I received a present that surpassed my wildest dreams. I got a new pair of cowboy boots, skillfully tooled with handsome designs. They made me feel grown-up, like one of the popular bull riders at the rodeo. When I opened the box, the scent of new leather was something I knew I’d always remember. It was a white Christmas that year—snow as deep as my waist—but I wouldn’t wear my new boots outside. Nope. I didn’t want to ruin the smooth sheen on them.”

2)   Do you have a Christmas tradition you look forward to every year?          

“Well … yes, we have had a tradition in years past. When my wife and I got married, we moved to the east coast. That meant we weren’t near my parents and couldn’t go home for Christmas. Her parents had been killed in a plane crash years before we married. So we had to start our own tradition. It’s simple, but a tradition we looked forward to, just the same. We always set aside one night, sometime in the weeks before Christmas, and we forget about going out to eat or doing Christmas shopping. She and I go cut a perfect tree at one of the tree farms around here. We light a nice pile of wood in the fireplace and decorate the tree by firelight and candlelight. Then we cuddle together on the couch with mugs of hot cocoa and dream about the new year to come. Of course, Brian joined us a few years ago. He filled an unexplainable void in our lives. But this year … life handed out just about more than a person can handle. Tears don’t wash away pain. Wasn’t sure about the importance of our tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment