Monday, November 10, 2014

Lynn Lovegreen, Writing Alaskan Historical Romance for Young Adults


Lynn Lovegreen grew up in Alaska, and still lives there. She taught for twenty years before retiring to make more time for writing. She enjoys her friends and family, reading, and hitting targets with a cowboy action shooting club. Her young adult historical romances are set in the Alaska Gold Rush, a great time for drama, romance, and independent characters. See her website at. You can also find her on Facebook and Pinterest.

Welcome to my blog, Lynn! Please tell us about your latest book, Golden Days.

Golden Days is the next novel in my Gold Rush series. Here’s the blurb: Alaska is a cold place to live until love blossoms. Elizabeth Robinson travels by dog sled to help her family mind the store in Fairbanks, Alaska. She wants to pursue her drawing and painting, but women artists are rare in 1906, and flood, fire, and a death in the family force her to take charge at home at age seventeen. James Garrett comes north to help his uncle at a nearby gold claim. An awkward eighteen-year-old who is more at home with machines than people, he becomes a man as he falls in love with Elizabeth. When a discovery about her benefactor, the founder of the town, threatens their future, Elizabeth and James find that together they can overcome any obstacle.

What led you to write this story?

I knew I wanted to write about Fairbanks, Alaska, and the more research I did, the more fascinating stories I discovered. It was a Gold Rush boomtown, of course, but the floods, fire, and mixing of cultures were also interesting aspects of the history. Plus, the founder’s (E. T. Barnette’s) life had plenty of drama that I could bring into the story. About the only thing I had to invent were my main characters. For that part, I created two young people who hold big dreams, and they grow closer as they help each other through their hardships. Their falling in love was the most fun for me to write.

How do you schedule or find time for your writing? What does your average day look like?

I’m lucky enough to be retired. I consider writing my job, and average five days a week. I usually do my creative writing in the morning. Then I take a break for lunch and yoga class or a walk. In the afternoon I do my business writing, checking emails, posting to social media, etc. I’m pretty good about sticking to my routine unless I have to work around traveling or meetings.

As a Christian author, what do you feel is the best way to weave God’s truth into your story?

I wouldn’t call myself a Christian author because religion doesn’t usually figure into my stories. But I do consider myself an inspirational author, in the sense that I hope to inspire readers to lead rich and meaningful lives. All my books feature love and strength in challenging times. 

Are you an introvert or extrovert? And why do you think this?

I am an introvert, because as much as I enjoy being with other people, I hit my limit after a certain number of hours. I need to spend quiet time by myself on a regular basis. I see my family and friends, participate in writing groups, etc., so I’m not a hermit. But I build time alone into my schedule as much as I can.

Which writing tasks do you procrastinate the most?

Setting up promotions! I have a hard time asking people for guest posts, interviews, etc. I’m shy about it because it feels like I’m inconveniencing people when they could be posting about something or someone else. It is silly, because most hosts (like you, Kathy) are very friendly and willing to help fellow authors. Thanks for your time and effort!

What keeps you motivated in your writing each day?

The fun of being creative. Even if I’m not feeling motivated that day, once I get going, I enjoy living in the worlds I create, seeing the characters in my mind. And of course, it’s nice to know that others might enjoy the story and find it inspiring. Now that I’m published and have readers, that’s in the back of my mind also.

Please tell us about your favorite and least favorite parts of marketing your book?

For me, writing the book is easier than writing the marketing. I find it a challenge to write the blurb, tagline, pick out the excerpts, etc. As I mentioned above, I also have a hard time putting myself out there to ask for time on other blogs and such.

My favorite part of marketing my books is interacting with fellow readers and writers. I did a Facebook party for my last book (Quicksilver to Gold) that was great fun, talking with people through posts and comments. And I enjoy writing my blogs and Facebook author posts and having conversations there.

What is your favorite book of the Bible? Would you care to share why?

I don’t have a favorite book, but my favorite quote is from John 13:34: “Love one another.” That sums it up as far as I’m concerned. When we truly love one another, and act on that love instead of fear or prejudice, the world is a better place.

How has the Lord led you to become a writer? (What is your writing testimony?)


I believe that I was called to teach young people, to help them along the way as they navigate their teen years. Nowadays I am doing that with my books. I hope that seeing my characters overcome challenges will lead readers to know that they can overcome their own challenges.  My first audience is young adults, but I think all of us can be inspired by writing, young and old alike. I hope my books will do that for my readers, whether they are attracted to the history, romance, or other elements of my stories.

Thank you for sharing with us about your writing journey, Lynn!

Find her book at: http://www.prismbookgroup.com/goldendays.html
Contact her at: lynnlovegreen@gmail.com

Lynn's question for you: Elizabeth’s dream is to be an artist. What was your dream when you were young? (Or is your dream if you still are young?)


Leave a comment to be entered in a drawing for an ebook copy of Lynn's latest novel, Golden Days.


8 comments:

  1. Sounds like an intresting book. Beautiful cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on both comments, Carlene. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Carlene. Joan Alley did a great job on the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that difference between being religious and inspiring. Good point, Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lynn, I agree with Lisa, you did a great job answering those question from your point of view and explained it well.

      Delete
  4. And thank you for hosting me, Kathleen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome, Lynn! Thank you for your time. I hope your
      book does very well.

      Delete