Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Indefatigable or Ignoble?

Lilybits, not large, but in charge!

Indefatigable. Isn’t this a great word? Let’s sound it out. In-de-fat-i-gab-le. Very good!  All right, I guess I should apologize. Mom says I will annoy you, my adoring audience, if I act too patronizing. I just wasn’t sure how many people have a better vocabulary than most cats. Yes, I realize you hear a lot of silly sounds from us, such as meow and purr, but in our minds cats have a very full vocabulary and it’s best you don’t hear all of it.

I do need to make sure that you know what it means, though. According to Dictionary.com, indefatigable means tireless, inexhaustible, persevering, cannot be wearied. Now, if we’re interested in our food, your food, chasing that red light thing that glides across the floor, knocking your cup of water or pencil off the table to get your attention, we at the very least insistent, if not that other big word you’re having trouble pronouncing. (Come on, you can be honest.)

And the word, ignoble? Don’t even think about using this to describe a cat. One definition means not noble; of humble descent or rank. That’s the opposite of the distinguished, highborn feline family! Despite the number of feral and alley cats who smear mud on our elevated reputation, every cat has a spark of nobility within. After all, how do you think cats conned the ancient Egyptians into treating them as gods? Snicker.
I let my people know when I want the control!
The way they waited on us! That may be where our extensive napping habits began, however. The sleep (with one eye open, of course) is totally important to make sure we stay beautiful and healthy, along with grooming our coats incessantly. Being an indefatigable feline is a full time job!

Would you like to see an insistent cat, trying to awaken his lazy human? Waking Mom or Dad up at 3:30 a.m. for a good ear scratching is one of my favorite tasks and Mom would tell you that I am quite indefatigable as she can sometimes be a sound sleeper! I suppose serving me much of the day can tire a weak, ignoble human.

Here’s a funny YouTube video for your enjoyment, "Cat-Man-Do" from Simon's Cat:




Is your pet indefatigable or ignoble? Lilybits wants to know!
We a-purr-ciate your comments!






7 comments:

  1. Ah, Lilybits. The epitome of grace and class. Thank you for a rare and treasured glimpse into your mind once more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome, Miss J'nell. It's so nice to be recognized for the classy cat that I am! ;) Purr.

      Kathy says: Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment,
      J'nell. Glad you enjoyed the post!

      Delete
  2. That first word has at least three too many syllables in it, so I'd never use it. I suppose I'll have to go with "ignoble" then. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lilybits says: Mr. Tom, if you practice saying the longer words, it will get better! But I will settle for ignoble since your pet is a dog. He he! ;) Purrs and paw waves to Sissy!

      Delete
  3. Being a cat, Gracie is obviously indefatigable, not to mention noble, regal, and completely in control of all her humans.
    Dogs on the other hand, are ignoble. So are squirrels, chipmunks and other rodents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still stuck on you behind the wheel, Lilybits. Look at you go? Driving doesn't make you antsy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say? When Dad needs a little help, I have to
      do my duty, Miss Elaine! ;) Purr.

      Delete