Thursday, December 11, 2014

Jilt and Jump -- Two of my Favorite Things

As a cat, I have to keep up a certain reputation. Cool felines must not appear needy, so we must perfect the art of jilting. I was so busy being affectionate to Mom when she first brought me home that she thought I needed her. Imagine that! All right, so without opposable thumbs I cannot open a can of wet food. However, if I wasn’t constantly trapped inside, because I’m Mom’s “baby”, I could find my own food and an occasional sand box if need be. I suppose allowing her to care for me is a small price to pay for living in such a nice prison. Anyway, as I was saying, I like to make sure Mom knows her place, so I jilt her occasionally, and sometimes even dad. They’re such pushovers! All I have to do is ignore Mom when she’s getting ready to go somewhere and the guilt piles on! I’m quite good at it, which usually buys me an extra treat somewhere down the line.

Another favorite way I show my feline prowess is by jumping. I love to attain lofty heights, especially when it bugs Mom. When I feel neglected, I threaten to jump from the second story railing into the family room. All Mom has to do is have a good friend visit, or one of those pesky guys she also calls her kids, and I am ready to meow dramatically as I pace the railing until she notices and I lean forward as though ready to jump until she comes up the stairs to chase me. I also like to run and jump around each piece of furniture in the family room, though the kitchen table is definitely forbidden territory. That’s why I scoot across the edge just to show who is boss!


Jilting and jumping are two favorite cat abilities. What are yours? Watch Simon’s Cat, below, in “Crazy Time” and you’ll see what I mean about cats and jumping.










6 comments:

  1. You certainly keep your mom on her toes. Thank goodness my lazy dog is content to snore away in her box after begging to be patted on the head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lily says: Hi Miss J'nell! Thanks for stopping by. I have slowed down some and I do like to get my beauty sleep, but if I didn't give my mom a hard time occasionally, what fun would there be in life? ;)

      Delete
  2. Gracie says that Mommy calls it "Boothing" when I jilt her by turning my back on her, because of the cartoonist George Booth who often drew cats in this pose, like here:http://www.condenaststore.com/-sp/The-New-Yorker-Cover-February-16-1976-Prints_i8481564_.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lily says: Miss Lisa, please tell Gracie this is one of my
    favorite poses. Mom says thanks for the link to the
    Booth picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lilybits, our mom loves it when we do the crazy time running and chasing through the house. But Dad is worried right now about putting up the Christmas tree. Mama thinks it'll be funny. What does your Mom think? Do you climb your tree?
    Love,
    Janelle (the naughty one) and Spook (the lazy boy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janelle and Spook! You are both cats after my own heart--naughty and lazy. Purr. My mom thinks you guys will get bored climbing and have more fun chasing each other under the tree. Just tell your Mama and Dad not to put their favorite
      ornaments where you can easily reach them. ;) Love, Lilybits

      Delete