Monday, September 2, 2013

MONDAY MOTIVATIONS


What is Writing, Whimsy and Devotion?

Simply a blog for readers, writers, people who enjoy literary reviews done by
cats and those who like a spiritual lift on the weekend. Your one stop for literature,
fun and faith!

Monday Motivations: Tips and commiseration for writers who need to get
the SOTP in the chair and get writing again. Whether you are stuck, in
need of inspiration or conquering fear to get your words onto the page,
you will find something here.

Wednesday Whimsy: My cat, Lilybits, will be happy to review books,
interview authors or comment on life--usually mine. Though I do reserve
the right to share my own humorous observations at times.

Saturday Spiritual Lift: Short devotional writing to help you look toward
the author and finisher of our faith, Jesus Christ.

This week's Monday Motivation:

There are times when I’m really into my writing, joy flows through me as I place each word on the page and I can’t wait to sit down and write again. But there are some days I find it difficult to keep my derriere glued to the chair. I’m just sure the laundry pile can’t wait any longer and there are people I should call and the layer of dust on the dresser can be left no longer.


My inner editor is a difficult taskmaster, whispering in one ear that I need to write the perfect words. In the other ear she taunts me that I’ll never be great, followed by a sinister laugh. Okay, so I’ve exaggerated about the sinister laugh, but do you have any idea how many times I’ve already changed the previous sentence?

How do I combat that? By telling myself the truth: there’s no way I can write perfectly and that’s okay. I just need to write something—I can always spend time refining and rewriting later. There have been times I’ve used different books like, A Writer’s Book of Days, to help inspire me with ideas and writing prompts just to get things flowing. And prayer is an important element for the Christian writer. Focusing on the One who gives me strength and ideas takes the pressure off of little old me.

What about you? How do you get motivated and press on with your writing?
Okay, this week’s writing prompt picked from the folded papers in one of my currently unused bone china sugar bowls: Take 5-10 minutes to write about: Fresh-baked bread! Just do it! 

Please leave a comment and let me know if writing prompts such as the
one above help you to get started or if there are writing topics you'd
like to see covered.

When you leave a comment and/or follow my blog, you will be entered in
a drawing for an Amazon gift card! 

Thanks for stopping by!

13 comments:

  1. Yes, sometimes motivation comes hard. Or not at all. I especially have a difficult time when my life is in turmoil. The words won't come and I fear my muse has fled the scene for good, never to return. Fortunately,that hasn't been the case. Yet. He always comes back to me, his first love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Kim. How true. During times of turmoil it's easier
      to be emotionally sapped and it's harder to put that creation and energy
      into the writing, but if we're patient and start writing again God refills
      us by His grace, doesn't He?

      Delete
  2. My motivations comes from limited time and deadlines from my editors. No choice in the matter, and the more I procrastinate, the less time I have for my clients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, Linda! Limited time can definitely spur on production!

      Delete
  3. As long as I can remember I've enjoyed writing, but over the years, that love transferred into a love of editing. So, now, I research because my discoveries bring me joy, I write to get it over with, and I edit because it's what I look forward to. Writing is my mission field.
    Kathy, this is a lovely blog. The colors are cheerful, but calming. Can't wait to become a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, Susan, and for following. You must have patience with
    research. I enjoy making discoveries, but get frustrated when I can't find
    the answer to my original question. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read all kinds of stuff too. Some days though, it just won't happen. What works best for me is just sitting down and telling myself to get 100 words on paper. They don't have to be good. Just write something. That usually gets me going, but not always. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the bottom line, isn't it? (No pun intended.) Sometimes I have to tell myself just
      to get a page of writing down and then it can be hard to stop.

      Delete
  6. Lovely site, Kathleen. Like a cup of hot tea in a garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary for stopping by and following! i'm glad the site comes across as relaxing. :)

      Delete
  7. Kathleen - love the looks of your blog and your encouraging remarks. Best to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Davalynn. Glad you stopped by to check things out!

      Delete
  8. I normally ask God to calm my heart and mind - removing any JUNK that might clutter the creative process and then I think CHARACTERS - why they are what they are where the story begins.
    I'm a PLOTTER TURNED MODIFIED PANSTER - I get the story idea - sometimes arguing with God about it before giving in - then PLAN my characters - the favorite part to writing for me. I give them structure - personality - quirks - weaknesses, strengths and then . . .the place it has to grow - that setting or settings that just give the characters their sense of PLACE.
    From there I do backstory - brainstorming like crazy and THEN - the story begins and I'm a PANSTER from there on.
    I think this winter (few short months away) I'm going to come over to your blog - just for the airy - summer-to-fall feel it has - and bask in the LIGHT during the dim and dreary MI winter days.
    Wonderful spot you have here, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete